Sunday, April 24, 2011

Random discoveries of the week end

Since every day in Saudi Arabia is an opportunity to learn something new, here's a couple of discoveries the week-end brought me:

- I shared a very tasty, huge dinner with the - female - members of a Saudi family, and even practised a bit of Arabic (based on the "Food and Drinks" chapter I had just studied in class!)

- I was told exciting stories by a lovely 3 year-old Saudi girl, of which I hardly understood a word, but I can tell there was great plots, adventures, emotions and fun in her tales!

- I was asked if I had a brother by a couple of Saudi teenagers dreaming about a handsome French husband! (That was before their mothers explained me the reality: arranged marriages will be their lot too, and love... will hopefully come eventually, after years of marriage!)

- I was confided Arab women's secrets to smell so good all the time: they use long-lasting concentrated Arabian perfumes, and they spread Oud smoke (scented wood which is burnt as incense) in their hair and under their clothes.

Nice souvenirs I was given after the dinner, including perfume and oud
- I discovered a very nice waterpark in Al Khobar, clean, green, refreshing! It was very nice feeling like being out of KSA for a day

Sunset Beach, Al Khobar
- I was taught an even yummier recipe for Om Ali by a Saudi friend at her house. And this is the one I've just baked myself!




1 comment: