Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Arabic qahwa

I already mentioned how much I like being offered Arabic coffee in Saudi houses. However I still was very curious about how it was made and if it was real coffee, since both the taste and the colour indicate otherwise. So I asked my french student Sarah how she made her coffee and - honouring the Arab hospitality as always - she gave me all the ingredients I would need and explained me the whole process. So yesterday I carefully followed every step and the result was as tasteful as the original!

Arabic qahwa step by step:

Ingredients: very lightly toasted coffee, cardamom, saffron


1. Grind all ingredients


2. Boil about one litre water with two tablespoons ground coffee

3. Put one teaspoon ground cardamom and one pinch of saffron in the coffee pot

4. Pour the hot coffee into the coffee pot, onto the spices


5. Drink hot in small cups; you don't need to add any sugar. Serve with dates.



Now here comes a little challenge for my French readers: can you remember a French song containing the word qahwa? If you do - therefore admitting your memory knows no musical taste! - I'll invite you for one!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome coffee, tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found the song but thanks to Google so I'll let other people trying to remember (the worst thing: knowing that you know it but not remembering it!)
    Un grand classique français :P
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. On peut avoir un autre indice ? Parce que là, je sèche...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Han là là mais je suis vraiment la seule à avoir cette chanson débile dans la tête chaque fois que je fais du café??

    Je laisse le soin à Alice et Rafa de nous indiquer le titre et le nom du chanteur! (que je ne connais d'ailleurs pas!)

    Bisous aux vainqueurs, je peux toujours compter sur vous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Si je dis qui chante c'est trop facile mais si je dis "Pousse la banane et mouds l'kahwa, darla dirladada" ça aide quelqu'un? :P
    Ça y est, vous avez tous trouvé??
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha ! Je l'avais complètement oubliée cette chanson... Merci pour ce petit moment de culture musicale ;-)
    Bises à vous, les madrilènes

    ReplyDelete