Friday, February 18, 2011

Experiencing the Arab hospitality


My travel guide (my dear travel companion the Lonely Planet!) had already warned me about the legendary Arab hospitality; experiencing it was just like they say, only tastier!

First of all, I must say that Saudi homes are very nicely furnished, with warm colours and textures (carved wood, silky fabrics, soft carpets…). Add a delicate spicy scent to this (frankincense has been produced around the Arabian Gulf for centuries), and you’ll feel more than welcome!

                                           

But for your host, nothing will ever be good enough! So you get a nice cup of Arabic coffee accompanied with a tasty date (the Saudi dates are supposed to be the best in the world); of course you also get a refill! After that you get a nice cup of tea (regular or green - very tasty either ways!) and if you’re lucky, you also get a delicious piece of cake (this time was cinnamon, nuts and dates cake… excellent!).

Good news is chances are I’ll experience this once a week, for I’m giving French classes to a Saudi lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment