Saturday, November 26, 2011

A little generation clash


This post has nothing to do with living in Arabia but it might give some of you a laugh, so what the hell! I'm the one you'll be laughing at anyway!

Some context first: I'm teaching some 14-17 year old at the international school, mostly girls, who wear make up and nice clothes and whose hair look better than mine, and who are quite mature, too. I, for my part, am in my late 20's now, but still feel as if I were just out of college. So sometimes, I don't feel there's so much  of an age difference with the students although, as much as it might hurt to admit, it's almost a one-generation difference. 

So I was doing this game during the Spanish class (a fun, interesting and obviously pedagogical game featured in the movie Inglorious Bastards), where we had to pick famous Spanish-speaking people for the rest of the class to discover. 

As I thought Shakira would be too obvious (which it actually was: it was picked by two students in the same game), I thought about this guy:


Much to my distress, I soon noticed that half of the class had never heard his name before, and the other half could hardly remember what he sang! I suddenly felt soooo old!

The worst (or best?) part is, when I was thinking about how to help the students recall what Ricky Martin used to sing, I obviously thought about the 98 World Cup. Somehow - and thanks God! - I didn't mention anything to the students. Only later did I realize that my 15 year-old students were only 2 years old back then! No wonder they can't remember that!

Have a good Sunday everybody; I for myself will keep thinking about who my next famous person will be (I'm between Julio Iglesias and Selena Gómez...)

2 comments:

  1. jajaja... I just feel old right now!! You are soooo right!
    No way, I think Selena Gomez will be far much easier for them... there mother are surely also too young to know Julio Iglesias so them also!
    Alice
    Ah by the way... you still can feel young... you know who is Selena Gomez :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you prima for cheering me up! Saludos to Primo-in-Law ;)

    ReplyDelete