Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Learning Arabic


I've just written this term's final exam for Arabic and I realize I haven't written much about my classes. I actually had a great time this whole semester and I enjoyed a lot going to classes. I'm looking forward to starting level 2 in September. In the meantime I'll have to try and practise a bit so I don't forget everything over the summer.

I've been taking classes in a women's "guidance" centre which offers language classes (English for Saudi women and Arabic for expats) as well as Qur'an and Tajweed (to learn how to recite the Qur'an). I was only taking Arabic, two days a week. We were about 12 women in the class, mostly from Malaysia, and also from India, Pakistan, and I was lucky to find another French student in the class! I was the only non-Muslim in the class, but it didn't really matter, since I was never treated any different, neither by my teacher nor by my fellow students. Well, except for the day my teacher asked me what religion I was, to which her reaction was: "At least you're not Jewish!". 

Of course the classes revolve around Islam, since it's an integral part of Saudi culture and way of life. I thought I'd show you a couple of excerpts from our book, so you get a better idea:

Talking about nationalities - adapting to our geographical location
Women's faces are never shown on the pictures, you can only see the back of their covered head
Talking about travelling to Mecca and going to the mosque for  the Friday prayer


No comments:

Post a Comment