Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Open, Sesame!


Even if I mention them a lot in real life (not always positively, I must confess...), I realized that I have only talked once about the largest immigration group in Saudi Arabia: the Indians! This is definitely something I should remedy!

Representing over 1 million people here, Indians are virtually everywhere, but the place you are more likely to find them - apart from the construction sites - is the souk!

Their shops are like Ali Baba's cave: full of (fake) treasuries ranging from perfumes and shampoo to watches and leather goods. And if you're looking for something you can't find in that particular shop, the shop assistant will run over to his fellow citizens' shops and come back 20 minutes later, all sweaty, with the product (true story!)

Can you tell the smuggled perfumes apart from the fake ones?
Real fake Swiss watches made in India
Ali Baba's cave closet

No comments:

Post a Comment